Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nebulization

I know I said I was getting better, but as soon as I went off my medicine, I crashed again. I was up probably about 4-5 times Sunday night coughing and wheezing, so Mommy and Daddy took me back to the doctor's office first thing Monday morning. Turns out one of my ear infections hasn't gone away yet, and my lungs still aren't healed completely from when I had RSV and pneumonia. The nice doctor put me back on the oral steroids, this time weaning gradually over two weeks instead of stopping after five days, and a stronger antibiotic for my ear infection. He also explained to Mommy and Daddy the difference between the two types of nebulizer medicines I have: the controller (Pulmicort) prevents symptoms, and the relievers (Xopenex/Albuterol) relieve symptoms.
For the next two-three months, at least, I have to have the controller twice a day and a reliever when necessary. Yuck! I don't mind the nebulizer when I'm sleepy, but when I'm awake I fight it as much as I can. Yuck yuck yuck!

No comments: