Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I feel like croup

I just had my first experience with croup, and it was nasty! I woke up Monday night (Tuesday morning?) at 2:00 AM coughing and crying and barking like a seal. Daddy sat with me in the steam-filled bathroom while Mommy called the doctor. The triage nurse said to use the humidifier, elevate my head, and call back if I got worse. We went back to sleep but were back up at 5:00 when I was coughing and wheezing again. Mommy and Daddy were really scared because I was arching my back, gasping for breath, making the stridor sound, and unable to focus my dilated eyes on anything. Fortunately, right as we were about to leave for the ER, I snapped out of it. We went to the doctors' office as soon as it opened, and the nice doctor said that it was a virus going around that caused it. They used the nebulizer on me again, which I HATED. The doctor said that since I had RSV when I was so little, I'd probably wheeze every time I have a respiratory infection. (And since Daddy had nasty asthma as a kid, I probably would too.) He gave me steroids to keep my throat open and instructed Mommy and Daddy that I was to be spoiled rotten while I was sick! I was supposed to watch TV all day, eat ice cream and popsicles, and do whatever I wanted. My wheezing got worse whenever I was upset, so they were supposed to do whatever it took to keep me calm and happy. Yesterday was so much fun! Fortunately today I'm pretty much back to normal - no wheezing or even snoring overnight - so I'm back to daycare.

Mommy thinks it's her fault that I got sick, because she was talking to one of her coworkers and told her that I probably wouldn't get sick again until cold and flu season this fall. Mommy needs to remember what the gods do to people with too much hubris!

2 comments:

Owen said...

yowza! i'm glad you're feeling better!

Mary E. said...

Croup is the worst... very scary indeed.