Friday, July 6, 2007

Monkey pox

As you may remember, I had a really bad fever on Wednesday - 103 degrees! The pool cooled me off a little bit, but I was still hot all night, so Mommy and I went to the doctor Thursday morning (our doctors' office is really nice and has sick baby walk-in visits every morning from 8-9). We sang our "Going to the Doctors'" song on the way there:

Goin' to the doctors and they're gonna make me better.
Goin' to the doctors and they're gonna make me better.
Goin' to the doctors, for Jax.
(Mommy likes changing the words to songs so they're about me.)

I was 100.2 degrees when I got to the doctors' office, so the nice guy we saw said that it was most likely just a virus and I was fine to go to daycare. When Mommy dropped us off, my teacher told her that two of the three other babies also had high fevers, so it was probably something going around.
Today when Mommy and Daddy dropped me off, they noticed that I was covered in red spots and thought that I had the chicken pox! They knew I couldn't stay at daycare if I was contagious, so Mommy went in to let them know what was going on. My teacher pointed to another little baby who was covered in a red rash and spots just like me but worse, and told Mommy that I have roseola. Apparently when you have it you get a really high, unexplained fever (which is when you're contagious). After it goes down, you get lots of pretty spots and rashes and you say, "Oh, looks like it was roseola." It doesn't hurt at all, and all the spots will go away without leaving a mark.

Despite that, Daddy had to get me early from daycare because I was running a slight fever, and then he had to get Mommy from work too because that's what you need to feel better when you're a sick baby. I've been a bit of a fussbutt tonight, but Mommy and Daddy are trying to overlook it because I'm sick. The rash (and fussiness!) should be gone in a day or two.

2 comments:

Mary E. said...

Aw, poor Jax. Kaleb had that when he was little too and you're bringing back the memories.

NV said...

Hey there..
could you change the title of this post to something else.. Monkey pox is a horrible viral illness that transfers to Humans from monkeys,rodents etc in Central and West Africa.. a mild form of small pox..
it just felt wierd when i read your post for a cute little kid with that title..
take care..