Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Officially big

Yesterday I had my fifteen month checkup. I'm 32 inches tall (75th percentile) and 22 lbs 6 oz (20th percentile). The doctor said I'm doing great! And that I'm just stubborn and could start walking and talking anytime I want.

Right now, this is what I can do:
  • Unplug things and plug them back in. This includes the laptop, power cords, and the beaters for the mixer.
  • Say a few words: "op" (pacifier), "mama," "dada," and sometimes, if I'm in the right mood, "cat" or "grandpa." Mommy thinks I said "breakfast" once, but that may just be wishful thinking.
  • Feed myself. Usually I use my hand, but sometimes I use a spoon too. I also sit in a booster seat more often than a highchair. I have to have my own plate, and I have to do it all myself. We're also working on drinking from a cup.
  • Follow simple commands. If you ask me for something, chances are I'll pick it up and give it to you, if I feel like it.
  • Take a couple steps by myself, although I don't like to. I prefer to hold onto things when I walk around. In just the past few days I've decided I prefer walking to crawling or being carried.
  • Play with levers and switches, including light switches and bathroom faucets.
  • Take things out and put them back in. I do this to cabinets in my little kitchen and the big kitchen, as well as boxes.
  • Know exactly what I want and make my desires known by pointing and grunting. And if that doesn't work, it's time for a tantrum.
  • Know exactly when the nebulizer is done. I recognize the change in sounds it makes and take it off as soon as I can.

All these things show that I'm now a little boy, not a baby, but the biggest thing is - I'm now in the toddler room at daycare! They moved me over this afternoon for a trial run. I was soooooooo happy to be back with my best friend Tyler (we really missed each other these past couple weeks). Ms. Nancy, my new teacher, made me walk some. I was really angry, but I did it! I took about 4 steps before stopping, more than I've ever done. She thinks I'll be walking in no time, especially because I have to impress all the big kids in my new room! They were happy to have me there and welcomed me by sharing their toys. This room is for the 18 month olds through three year olds, so I'll be in here for awhile. Ms. Teresa, the assistant director, told Mommy that I'd develop in leaps and bounds just by being around older kids. Mommy just shook her head and said, "That's what I'm afraid of."

2 comments:

Owen said...

oh, thats exciting! the toddler room means less $$!!! I am moving up to the 1s room starting at the beginning of March. Woo!

Little Jax said...

I actually timed it pretty good. Rates are going up March 1st, so the new toddler room price will be the old baby room one. I'm not saving my parents any money, but I'm not costing them more either!