Monday, August 20, 2007

Family reunion

We just got back from a long weekend in Bluefield, Virginia/West Virginia, where Daddy's dad's family is from. Here's what we did.

Thursday, Mommy and Daddy picked me up from daycare at noon and we drove up. I slept most of the 3 1/2 hour drive, and when I woke up we stopped at my first McDonald's, just so I could get my wiggles out in their playplace. Then I got yelly for the last hour or so. We met my aunts Debbie and Donna, my uncle Mark, and my cousin Chris at the hotel. I haven't seen my aunts since I was sick with RSV at four months, so I wasn't too sure about them. We went to dinner and Uncle Mark gave me lots of cantalope and corn, so I decided he was ok.

When we got back, Mommy and Daddy inspected the crib in our room. It was really junky! One of the legs wasn't even attached to the crib bottom, so if I'd been in it, there's a good chance it could've broken and dumped me on the floor. Fortunately we'd brought my pack-n-play with us, so we just stuck the crib in the hallway for the night.
On Friday, we went to my great-uncle June and great-aunt Evelyn's house. Here I am with Evelyn, and below are Great-Uncle June and their son Gary.
After offering me flowers to smell, Aunt Donna (who has her seizure medicine in her mouth, not a cigarette!) took me for a walk down the road to see the neighbors' plastic lawn animals. I still wasn't sure about her at this point, so when she took me away from everyone I yelled really loudly (but it didn't do any good). I wanted to go back and play with all the doggies! June, Evelyn, and Gary have four, and they were so much fun! I petted and sniffed and crawled after them.
Then it was lunchtime. Evelyn gave us sooooooo much food: ham sandwiches with fresh garden tomatoes, green beans, mac 'n' cheese and mashed potatoes, two kinds of salads, and three different cakes! I ate so much!

That evening we went to K&W Cafeteria with all the relatives that were in town. Again, I was fed so much food! It was late when we got back, so Mommy and Daddy decided to skip my bath and just go straight to bed. Big mistake! Two and a half hours later, I got my bath and went to bed. There's so much happening on vacations, I just don't want to sleep and miss out on anything!

Saturday Mommy and Daddy ditched me to go see Stardust at the local movie theater. While they were trying to find cash because the stupid backwards hodunk theater didn't take credit cards, Donna, Debbie, Mark, and Chris took me to Applebee's for lunch. I wasn't too sure who these people were, and I was hungry, so I screamed for awhile, but they stuffed me with food so I calmed down (my love is easy to buy). They also rubbed a balloon on my head to make my hair stick up!

After lunch, when Mommy and Daddy got back, we went swimming in the pool. I LOVE pools! Fortunately this one was heated, because the weather was cool up in the mountains (well, at least compared to back home). I probably shouldn't have gone swimming for as long as I did though, because at this point I'd become really congested with a nasty cough. Aunt Debbie says this always happened to her and Daddy whenever they were in Bluefield as kids. Yuck.
Saturday night was the big reunion. We went to a seafood restaurant and sat around eating and talking. I got to eat hushpuppies, which I love. Aunt Debbie carried me around and introduced me to all my relatives, giving Mommy and Daddy the chance to eat their dinners while they were still warm. Then it was back to the hotel to go to sleep.
Unfortunately, I didn't sleep very well Saturday night. I woke myself up coughing really hard. Mommy and Daddy ran a shower because the steam helps me breathe better, but unfortunately that's about all they could do for me. They didn't have my humidifier or any medicine for me to take, and it wasn't possibly to prop me up in my pack-n-play, so Mommy and I ended up sleeping upright in an armchair for several hours so my throat would drain. Daddy offered to do it, but Mommy wouldn't let him since he'd be the one driving the next day and she didn't want him tired.

Sunday morning we got up really early and went to breakfast with some relatives, including Aunt Evelyn who kept calling me "Zack." But that's okay, because she's really sweet and gave me yummy food! We promised to visit more often, especially when we found out we have an uncle living about an hour away on Lake Gaston, and then we were on the road. I didn't do so well on the way back; my cough was pretty bad, so I kept waking myself up. But we made it back eventually. I spent the afternoon playing with my new toys and enjoying the best part of a vacation - being home again!

No comments: