Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Antisomnia

I have decided that I no longer need sleep. That means waking up at 5 a.m., not taking naps, and refusing to go to bed. Sounds fun, right?

For the last several months, I've woken up between 4 and 6 a.m. Mommy nurses me in her bed, and if I go back to sleep, I get to stay there until it's time to wake up for the day. If I become all rolly and punchy and yelly, I have to go back to my crib, where I fall used to fall back asleep. For the past week and a half, I've been crawling all over Mommy and Daddy, all the while taking short breaks to lie my head down because I'm still sleepy. But I can't go to sleep, because it's so fun to play! And if they try to put me back in my crib, I stand up and scream because I WANT TO PLAY!!! Then no one gets any sleep.

I've also given up naps at daycare. Who needs those? If the mean teachers make me take one in the morning, I scream, which makes the other kids scream too. So I win, and I don't take a nap until I pass out shortly before lunch. No afternoon naps for me either! On the weekends, I refuse to take naps, unless we're in the car, in which case I pass out almost immediately.

You'd think all this would leave me pretty tired and sleepy by bedtime, but you'd be only half right - I'm tired but definitely not sleepy. So, after dinner, bath, nursing, and a story, I'm still wide awake and ready to play some more! And if Mommy and Daddy try putting me in my crib, can you guess what happens? That's right - more standing and screaming!

A couple nights Mommy and Daddy loaded me in the car and we took a drive to make me fall asleep (Saturday night we made it all the way to Rougemont, which is about 15 miles north of us). Then Mommy and Daddy got all mean. Now they just leave me in my crib (morning and night) to throw tantrums. Stupid Ferber. I want to play!

No comments: